Another year to review, for no one’s benefit except my own really. I’ll try to keep this brief.
This has been the year of Making A Record The Serious Way. At the end of last year, I knew I had an album’s worth of material, my strongest yet, and I wanted to take a stab at Doing It Right. Well, you know. It’s all I’ve been talking about all year: mastering, crowdfunding, vinyl, videos, promotion, the whole nein. There’s still a couple months left of all this business leading up to the RECORD RELEASE SHOW ON FEBRUARY 19!!!!!! …But since we’re reflecting now, I’m gonna just go ahead and say, I don’t know if it’s worth it.
What I mean by ‘it’ is going super hard on the ‘business’ end of music and not hard enough on the music end. Folks, I have been mostly unemployed for most of the past year, and let me tell you, it is trivially easy to make music your full-time job and forget to make music. Of course there’s always more you can do on either end, but what I missed the most over this past year was touring–lord but I love traveling and seeing friends and playing music every goddamn night, what could be better really–and writing songs.
I will say that I was pleased and gratified that I was able to perform pretty regularly throughout the year as a result of being asked to join many bills. It’s easy to lose sight of what I’ve ‘built’ over the past five years in this local scene, because it’s not something I can point to or touch, but I guess it really is the relationships, huh? Aw, come here, alla youse, group hug group hug.
But I did write half a dozen songs, which I guess after the past five years or so of keeping track appears to be my low-water mark. I can live with that. Here they are, in order of appearance:
- Fledgling Feeling (A Lone Damn Tin Piranha)
- Lullaby (for Fynn) – I wrote this for my dear old friend Robyn on the occasion of her son’s birth. Hadn’t really thought of it as a public offering, but I performed it at my last show to fairly good response, so maybe that’ll be a thing..?
- Servant Wedding – In which I paraphrase (plagiarize) a lovely speech my friend gave at his wedding about spoon rings and love as resistance. Haven’t gone public with this one yet, but sometime soon perhaps.
- The Anti-Capitalist’s Guide To Getting It On
I got a couple irons in the fire, also, but maybe those’ll make a nice head start in the new year.
Anyway, when I say “I don’t know if it’s worth it”, don’t think I mean I regret it or anything. Just figuring it all out, y’know? And *certainly* don’t think I’m not totally stoked for my ALBUM RELEASE FEBRUARY 19!!!!!!!111!!! Because I am.
So yeah, goals for 2014, pretty simple really:
- Put out this goddamn album.
- Go on a gaddamn tour.
- Write at least six (maybe twelve?) gaddumn songs.
- Fucking A, put out another thing, why not? There has, in fact, been talk of a split cassette with some of my fav indie artists.